Two facts you should know this fall…
- Stranger Things is completely mind blowing. I’m still kind of freaked out over here but in a good way. If you haven’t seen it yet, just do it. You inner Goonies/Stephen King lover will thank you.
- Cotton boll stems make everything better.
Completely speaking the truth here.
I always hope one day I’ll be out driving and I’ll end up near a cotton field and I can go picking to my heart’s content. Not sure if that will ever happen in my town. And I’m pretty sure that’s illegal anyway.
But last week, I decided it was time to have some cotton stems in my life, even if they were fake. Then, I was in the middle of setting our fall table for this year’s fall tour, and I had a light bulb moment.
Why has no one ever invented cotton boll napkin rings? I haven’t seen them, if they exist. These were so quick and easy to make!
If you want to get crafty with it for your fall table this year, I decided to whip up a quickie tutorial for my DIY cotton boll napkin rings.
Supplies used: (Affiliate links are provided below for convenience. For more information, see my full disclosure here.)
Gotta love teeny tiny supplies lists, right? These took all of 2 minutes each to make.
- Snip off one stem from your cotton stalk with your wire cutters.
2. Cut a 4-5 inch length of florist wire.
3. Make a loop with the wire and cross the ends.
4. Then twist the ends together to make a ring.
5. Insert the stem into the ring and press the base of the cotton boll against the top of the wire ring.
6. Continue to twist the end of the stem around the wire ring.
All done! Was this barely worthy of a tutorial? My b. 😉
Sometimes it’s the simplest projects that are my favorite. This is definitely one of them.
I paired them with these black and white feather napkins and they will be so cute for Halloween and Thanksgiving this year.
Grab a simple white plate, place it on a grapevine wreath and voila, instant rustic charger. (Having a crafting session after Thanksgiving dinner to make Christmas wreaths using the chargers on the table would pretty much be the best idea ever. Food + crafts = the perfect day, am I right?)
Making variations of these little napkin rings would be so easy with wired florals for different seasons- faux holly berry for Christmas, cherry blossoms for spring, sunflowers for summer… all that cuteness.
I’m still waiting for that magical cotton field to show up one of these days though. And a sequel to Stranger Things. Ahhh! Pleeeaaase, Netflix head honchos, make that happen.
Have you seen it yet? Or have a mini obsession with cotton stems? Or a quick and easy fall craft you’ve done lately that you’re proud of?
If you want to save this post for later when you’re feeling crafty, you can pin it here: