I’m Lauren, and I’m so glad you stumbled upon my corner of the wide wide web! Let me offer you a nice, cold drink. Or would you like a glass of wine? Hold on, this might take a minute.
On second thought, maybe that’s kind of gross.
Want to know a little about the crazy girl behind the keyboard? I guess that’s why you clicked that menu tab, huh? I could write a small book about me, but eh… what’s the fun in being conventional?
To fully appreciate our little story, you might need to hear this. (Fresh Prince swagger recommended.)
Is that song going to be stuck in your head for the rest of the day now? Are you having 90s flashbacks? You’re welcome.
If that wasn’t enough for ya, there’s plenty more silliness where that came from. So here’s a big ol’ list of random about our little clan.
- Our family of 4 (counting the furbaby) lives right on the NC/SC state line. We live in SC but in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. Confused yet? Don’t worry, friends who visit us are usually lost too.
- I’ll be 28 years old as of May 2015.
- I am a wife to a Marine veteran, and I’m proud to say it. My husband’s name is Robert, and without him, this blog would not be possible. He’s my handiman.
- I am a mother to the girliest of little girls. Olivia is obsessed with tutus and sparkly shoes.
- I am saved by the blood of Christ and I keep life in perspective by focusing on God’s blessings daily.
- I’m a total Craigslist fanatic where I find some of the best fixer-upper furniture, but our best find to-date is our 3 year-old Yorkie Schnauzer, Lola. She thinks she’s human (don’t tell her differently).
- I enjoy cooking and eating Paleo, but I cannot give up ice cream for the life of me.
- I was a ballet dancer for 15 years and will still pirouette across our kitchen floor whenever the mood strikes me. Lola has learned to get the heck out of dodge.
- When I was three, I watched The Wizard of Oz every single day. That movie still has a special place in my heart.
- My mother is my absolute best friend, and I talk to her pretty much every day.
- I’m a total daddy’s girl too. He is the most honest, generous, and hard working man I have ever known. He could give Bobby Flay a run for his money on a grill.
- I did colorguard/winterguard in high school and was a choreographer and instructor for 6 years in college and on into my professional teaching years. I will always and forever be a die-hard Carolina Crown fan. My band nerdiness comes out sometimes.
- I cannot walk into a Target without buying something. I just can’t.
- I was a photographer at a corporate studio for three years but still have a lot to learn.
- My favorite designer is Joanna Gaines. If you have never heard of her, watch Fixer Upper on HGTV and you will forever be hooked!
- I’m so terrified of snakes that I can’t even look at photos of them. I shiver just seeing one on a television screen.
- I love refinishing furniture to look like it has a story to tell even if a piece is brand new.
- I was a high school English teacher for 5 years and have a slight book obsession. My favorite book of all time is The Great Gatsby. Leonardo DiCaprio just made it better.
- I’m a major introvert (trust me, it’s true) and was always the quiet girl in school. Writing is how I express myself best.
- On the flip side, my extrovert husband can make friends with total strangers in less than 60 seconds.
- I met Robert in college when I was a part-time waitress. He sat at my table on a slow night, we got to talking for hours, and the rest was history. I’d say gaining a life-long best friend is the best tip any girl could ever make. 🙂
- I like watching musicals and classic movies. Can you guess what musical inspired this Halloween getup? “Tell me about it…stud.”
- I’m the most productive at night and absolutely cannot wake up in the morning without a snooze button.
- I first discovered I liked modern rustic decor on our honeymoon to Asheville, NC. Our hotel was gorgeous!
- I am part Swedish and am very proud of my heritage. (“Skol” to my family across the pond!)
- I’m a bit scared of power tools, but I really want to overcome that fear.
- I love creating! Even if I had all the money in the world, I would still want to DIY.
Moving into this first house of ours was quite an adventure, and it still is every day. (Here is my first blog post ever.) I’ve always had a passion for writing, photography, design, and the desire to help others. Since leaving my teaching job to become a stay-at-home-mom, this blog has been my much-needed creative outlet. Pretty much every day when Olivia goes down for her nap, I get to work on some DIY project in our garage. It’s how I grow and thrive, while still making our house less plain, builder-grade and more a reflection of us. We make plenty of mistakes along the way, but we feel so blessed to have our home. That’s pretty much how this blog got its name.
Somewhere in the middle of all of this making and doing, I’ve gotten to know so many talented bloggers from all over the world who share my interests. Finding friends in this big and wide blogging community has been a major blessing. Of course, my biggest motivator is having readers like you who support me along the way with every kind comment, like, share, tweet, and virtual hug. I am thankful for you every day.
I always love hearing from you! Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Google+. I make my best effort to respond to every blog comment. Want to send me an e-mail? You can contact me here.
If this is your first rodeo, here are some great places to start:
- DIY Mason Jar Vanity Light
- Master Bathroom Budget Makeover: Builder Grade to Rustic Industrial
- Knock Off No Sew Dining Chairs
- The Most Efficient Way to Create a Gallery Wall
- Chalkboard Hand Lettering the Easy Way
- 3 Little Words We Say Too Often
- Thrifty $30 Spring to Summer Tablescape
- The Most Frugal Way to Organize a Pantry
- 1 Rustic Industrial Breakfast Room 2 Ways
- Holiday Home Tour 2014
You can check out all of the progress we’ve made in a year and a half on our house tour.
(Just click the image below.)