We’re Robert and Lauren, a DIY-loving duo just fighting the good fight in making our house a home one renovation and thrifted decorating adventure at a time. Home wasn’t built in a day, but the journey is half the fun. We’re so glad to have you here, and we hope you feel inspired to love the home you have.
Want to know a little about the crazy people behind the keyboard? That’s probably why you clicked that menu tab, huh? We could write a small book about us, but eh… what’s the fun in being conventional?
It all started out with just little me (Lauren), wrangling our toddler as a stay-at-home mom and painting thrift store furniture during naptimes…
To fully appreciate our little story though, you might need to hear this. (Fresh Prince swagger recommended.)
Is that song going to be stuck in your head for the rest of the day now? Are you having 90s flashbacks? You’re welcome.
That’s how we got started anyway, but it’s been over 6 years since we started this blog. Since then, we gave that first builder grade house of ours a full makeover, sold it, and moved into a 1960 colonial that needed a lot of lovin’.
You can tour them both here:
If that wasn’t enough for ya, there’s plenty more silliness where that came from. So here’s a big ol’ list of random about our little clan.
- Our family of 5 (counting the furbabies) lives right on the NC/SC state line. We live in SC but in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. Confused yet? Don’t worry, friends who visit us are usually lost too.
- Life is crazy with these two little girls, but we wouldn’t change it one bit.
- I’m a total Craigslist fanatic where I find some of the best fixer-upper furniture, but our best find to-date is our 3 year-old Yorkie Schnauzer, Lola. She thinks she’s human (don’t tell her differently).
- Lauren is the introvert and total homebody, but Robert is the extrovert who can make friends with total strangers in less than 60 seconds.
- We first discovered we liked modern rustic decor on our honeymoon to Asheville, NC in 2011. Our hotel was so pretty!
- We love creating! Even if we had all the money in the world, we would still want to DIY.
How This Blog Began
Moving into our first house was quite an adventure. (Here is my first blog post ever.) I’ve always had a passion for writing, photography, design, and the desire to help others. Since leaving my teaching job to become a stay-at-home-mom, this blog has been my much-needed creative outlet. Pretty much every day when Olivia went down for her nap, I would get to work on some DIY project in our garage. It’s how I grew and thrived, while still making our house less plain, builder-grade and more a reflection of us. We make plenty of mistakes along the way, but we feel so blessed to do what we do. That’s pretty much how this blog got its name.
Somewhere in the middle of all of this making and doing, I’ve gotten to know so many talented bloggers from all over the world who share my interests. Finding friends in this big and wide blogging community has been a major blessing. Of course, my biggest motivator is having readers like you who support me along the way with every kind comment, like, share, tweet, and virtual hug. I am thankful for you every day.
In February 2019, Robert left his corporate office job to run the blog alongside me. It’s been challenging and chaotic but so SO much fun doing what we love! And YOU make that possible.
If That Wasn’t Enough…
We always love hearing from you! Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter. We make our best effort to respond to every blog comment. Want to send me an e-mail? You can contact us here.
If this is your first rodeo, here are some great places to start:
- 12 Goodwill Shopping Secrets Revealed
- DIY Built-Ins from IKEA Bookcases
- How to Make a Small Room Look Bigger
- 16 Must-Have Home Decor Thrift Store Staples
- Budget Master Bathroom Refresh Makeover