Tips for organizing a pantry using dollar store containers, recycled boxes, and repurposed baskets and bins, plus a free pantry inventory checklist to make grocery shopping easier.
I honestly had wanted to organize our pantry for a long time, but the price of my “vision” was pretty steep. After doing my homework and finding that even the cheapest pantry storage options in Walmart were at least $5 per container, I resolved to finding something more budget-friendly.
(Yes, y’all. I’m cheaper than Walmart. Hey, I take it as a compliment.)
So here ya go- 3 cheap pantry storage options:
1. Wrap cardboard boxes in pretty paper or fabric with labels. I collected diaper boxes for a few months with this plan in mind, and they work perfectly! The only cost was the $8 roll of paper I used. You can see my DIY pantry crates from yesterday’s post.
2. Use Dollar Store Containers. So those handy clear containers there…did not cost me $5-$10 a pop. I found them at the dollar store! (Dollar Tree to be exact if you live in the U.S.)
I bought 8 tubs and 10 containers with pourable spouts. I cut out labels with black cardstock I had lying around, labeled them with a white chalk marker, and taped them on. I could have gotten fancy with printed labels, but I kept it simple.
I’m not totally sure these are air tight, but they are doing awesome so far. And they’re much more air tight than the store containers all of the food was in before anyway.
I resolved to create a pantry inventory list to hang on the wall in here too. I usually have a running list in my head of things I need to buy when we run out, but I never fail to forget at least one item every week.
- Paper Wrapped Diaper Boxes– $8.00 (This was a DIY; the link will take you to the tutorial.)
- Dollar Store Plastic Containers- $18.00 (These containers are comparable in price. Or these containers and these containers can be bought in bulk.)
- Can Dispenser Containers- $18.00 for 3 from Walmart (These are similar to mine.)
- Repurposed Baskets and Jars– $0.00 (This basket and this basket are similar to mine.)