- Jigsaw (We use this one all the time, and it’s a great saw for DIY beginners.)
- Pneumatic staple gun (We have this 3-tools-in-one compressor.)
- Mouse sander
- Electric drill
- Kilz primer
- Valspar paint in Montpelier Ashlar Gray (flat)
- Minwax stain in Dark Walnut
- Several rags
- 1 1/2″ paint brush (My favorite is this one.)
- Sponge paint brush
- Mattress egg crate foam
- Blue Hawk canvas drop cloth
- Spray upholstery adhesive
- Fabric scissors
- Sharpie marker
- Medium sized cardboard box from Lowe’s
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- DAP Contact Cement
- Dritz Home 5/8 inch nailheads in antique gold (I used about 4 packs per chair.)
- Tape measure
From there, my father-in-law, the woodworking master, gave us a few pointers, and we decided to cut straight edges marked with a level.
We avoided cutting into the caning.
Then ran the jigsaw over the straight marks.
And I was left with this rich wood tone with just enough gray peeking through to give it that weathered look. The wood grain texture on these chairs are amazing!
Once the chairs were dried, this was where the hard part began.
By the way, mattress foam toppers are way cheaper than specialty upholstery batting. And so so comfy!
We went ahead and traced the back of the chair onto a piece of cardboard with a Sharpie. (I promise I did way more work than stand around taking pictures of Robert.)
And cut out the traced shape.
And cut it out with scissors.
And cut them out.
Once we started positioning the front piece of the fabric, it took some time to work with. We started by stapling the bottom center first.
This was definitely a two-person job. As we worked our way up to staple the sides, I stretched the fabric up while Robert pulled the fabric tightly around the side and stapled, making sure the front was smooth with no puckering.
Hey, look! An upholstered chair! Not bad for someone who is making this up as she goes along. I pressed out the wrinkles afterward too (this photo was a dead giveaway that it needed it).
Since the wood of these chairs was so hard, we had to use a small drill bit first.
Then, we hammered away on the nailheads.
Lucky for us, my parents and grandmother offered to take Olivia on an outing while we knocked out this project. But she got to help for the last step. 🙂
She insisted on handing the nailheads to her daddy the entire time.