How to make a knock-off gold leaf sculpture using faux leaves, spray paint, scrap wood, and marble contact paper for a designer look for less
I’ve gotta be honest… I had absolutely NO faith in this little craft project at first.
Because if there’s anyone who has zero artistic ability, it’s me. #IDrawStickPeople
But I was browsing through World Market last week and saw these really cute gold leaf sculptures, and I thought, “I bet I could make those using stuff I already have at home.”
Lo and behold, it worked!
I mean, granted, the real thing is much heavier and made of metal and feel way fancier if you were to reach out and actually pick them up.
But if these little sculptures are just sitting on a table (and that’s all they really do anyway), they totally look like the real deal… only for about $65 less.
If you just want to buy the real ones from the store, here are the actual gold leaf sculptures, but if you feel like making some yourself, here’s the spiel.
It only took about 45 minutes!
- Faux leaves of your choice (I just raided my stash of random stems I already had.)
- Rustoleum Metallic Gold spray paint
- Scrap wood cut into blocks (The size doesn’t have to be exact. I used scraps that were about 3″x3″)
- Marble contact paper (I use this stuff on everything… coffee tables, cigar boxes, dollhouses, you name it.)
- Super glue
1. Spray paint both sides of your faux leaves with the metallic gold and let dry.
2. While the leaves are drying, wrap the scrap wood blocks with marble contact paper like a gift box. Cut any access at the corners with scissors to hide the seams.
3. Drill a hole in the middle of the marble wrapped blocks. (Check the thickness of your leaf stems to determine what size drill bit to use.)
4. Put a drop or two of super glue inside of the drilled hole and place the stem of the painted gold leaves in the hole.
Ta da! Super easy! And they’re so cute to place as little accents on dressers, buffets, and tabletops.
If you want more ideas for creating designer dupes, you can find more here:
- DIY Pottery Barn Knock-Off Terra Cotta Table Lamp
- DIY McGee & Co Knock-Off Textile Art from a Recycled Rug
- DIY Anthropologie Knock Off Ceramic Bloom Vase
- Faux Marble Top Coffee Table
Have you done any cool dupes lately? I’d love to hear about them!