Last time we shared the home office saga, this was the current view…
But then what’s the point of building handy dandy office closets without some handy dandy shelving?
And also doors?
But we wanted them to feel a little more grand this time by converting them into real French doors.
If you ever want to do turn a bifold door into a pair of French doors, it’s super easy to do:
2. Attach 4 hinges on one side of each individual door (8 hinges total for the pair of doors). We used these hinges.
3. Screw the hinges to the door frame, making sure they are hung at the same height.
Done! It’s really so simple and took all of 10 minutes. Just make sure those hinges are swinging the correct way. We almost made that little mistake. 😉
Once the doors were installed, we whipped up the shelves.
Easy DIY Closet Shelves
(Some affiliate links are provided below. Full disclosure here.)
- 1×2 boards
- 1/2″ plywood
- Stud finder
- Power drill & bits
- Tape measure
- Wood screws
- Circular saw
1. Robert measured and marked where we wanted the shelves’ placements first. (We made them 24″ apart.)
2. Using a level, we drew a line on the wall for the shelf placement and marked the studs with a stud finder.
3. We ripped down the plywood at this point with a circular saw too.
4. And we cut the 1×2 boards to the length we needed.
5. To make the shelf braces, we used wood screws to attach the boards to where we marked on the wall on the sides and back of the closet.
6. We trimmed the plywood pieces as needed to fit them on top of the 1×2 braces and painted everything Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace to match the walls.
I’m DYING to organize these closets now! Mainly because the rest of our house is a hot MESS.
See beyond those doors? It’s not pretty. Does your house go coo-coo during a room renovation? Ours does every time.
I plan to cut down some large PVC pipe for that very top shelf to have makeshift compartments for seasonal floral stems. That probably makes no sense right now, but I can visualize it in my head.
Here’s where we are on the home office to-do list now:
Office Makeover To-Do List:
Build pair of closets Install double French doors Paint walls & ceiling Install closet doors Build closet shelving Move air vent Paint doors
- Install lighting
- Hang art
- Hang curtains
- Assemble furniture
- Paint cabinets
- Decorate & style
If you want more ideas and inspo for jazzing up closets, you can see them all here.