4 rules for nightstand decor to keep it pretty, functional, and clutter-free plus 4 nightstand decor ideas for all styles.
I hope y’all are liking these Simplified Decorating posts because I’m having a blast with them over here.
It’s so fun to decorate. But sometimes I think it’s so important to focus on why you decorate.
To analyze how you and your family function and not just make your home “pretty” but make it really work for you.
And there’s just something about waking up to a clean, well-functioning nightstand in the morning or going to bed beside one every night to help you feel a little less stressed before and after a long day.
Our surroundings matter.
If I have lots of pretty decor accents on my nightstand, but they’re not serving me, it’s just clutter. In the past, I found that to be so true, and it gave me constant anxiety without me even realizing it.
So now I have a few decorating rules that I swear by to make bedrooms peaceful in so many ways.
The items on our nightstands have to tick one of four boxes:
Always trying to keep it at 5 items or less.
(Some affiliate links are provided below. Full disclosure here.)
Seriously, that’s it. If it doesn’t end up in one of those four categories, if it doesn’t improve my personal well-being or my day-to-day functioning, it doesn’t deserve a spot on my nightstand.
On Robert’s Nightstand:
- Light – sconce
- Storage/Function – clock
- Nature – air freshening plant
- Well-Being – good smelling candle, sentimental photo
On My Nightstand:
- Light – sconce
- Storage/Function – a small bowl for holding earrings/rings, a holder for my glasses
- Nature – oxygen promoting plant
- Well-Being – sentimental photo frame
On Our 2 Guest Room Nightstands:
- Light – task lamps
- Storage/Function – trinket bowl, clock
- Nature – vase of flowers
- Well-Being – peaceful art in a thrifted frame, our favorite books we recommend to friends, a good smelling candle
Just for fun, I played around with a few different nightstand combinations.
Which one is your fave?
Do you have any nightstand must-have items? Or your own decorating rule to keep the “pretty” in check so that it serves you and your family well?
If you want more Simplified Decorating tips from the series, you can find a bunch more here:
- 20 Creative DIY Wall Decor Ideas
- How to Style Shelves
- 7 Tricks to Make Your Bed Fluffy Without the Luxury Price Tags
- How to Style Kitchen Countertops (and Keep Them Functional)
- How to Decorate End Tables
And if you want more bedroom decorating ideas…
- Moody Modern Vintage Master Bedroom Makeover
- Our Guest Bedroom Makeover Reveal
- Our “Big” Girl’s Bedroom Makeover
- My Parents’ Guest Bedroom Reveal