Classic Southern Tomato Pie
A recipe for the best classic Southern tomato pie perfect for summer.
There is a handful of things that reminds me specifically of summer- fresh cut grass, the smell of the beach, and big ol’ juicy tomatoes. For as long as I can remember, my dad has grown a vegetable garden every summer, and it has always produced way more than we could ever eat. Since our little family lives only 30 minutes from my parents, my green-thumbed father (somehow I didn’t inherit that gene) brings a bag full of these babies almost every time he visits. So that’s a whole lotta ‘maters!
As much as I love a great BLT, there are only so many I can eat in a day, and it hardly puts a dent in our supply. Before we can eat them, half of them go bad. So what to do with that huge pile of juicy beauties? Make a drool-worthy Classic Southern Tomato Pie!
If you have never had this dish, I know what you’re thinking. Pie? Tomatoes? Weird combo. But trust me. Try it before you knock it. You’ll be hooked.
4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
10 fresh chopped basil leaves (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 9-inch deep dish pie shell
2 cups grated cheese of your choice (I used mozzarella and cheddar)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp salt (for drawing out tomato juice)
1 clove garlic, chopped
Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Once oven is preheated, bake pie shell for 10 minutes. After crust is finished, reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
2. While crust is baking, lay tomato slices in a layer on the bottom of a collander in the sink and sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt. Let tomatoes drain for 10-15 minutes. Transfer to flat paper towels and pat off any excess moisture (this prevents the pie from being watery).
3. Lay half of the tomato slices in the bottom of the pie shell. In a small bowl, mix together green onions, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of mixture over tomatoes in pie crust. Layer in second half of tomato slices and top with the rest of the onion/basil mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, combine cheese and mayonnaise. Spread mixture on top of the pie.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly brown. Cut into slices and serve warm.
And forever crave ‘mater pie!