Step-by-step tutorials to make a DIY outdoor movie theater and s’mores station from a coffee table + fall outdoor decorating ideas.
This has officially been the year of creativity! And silver linings too apparently.
Gotta stay at home? Paint a room. Want to celebrate a birthday? Have a drive-by parade. Want to go to the movie theater? Make one in your own backyard.
It’s been a tough few months for sure, and at the same time, I can’t help but be amazed at the creative projects and ideas that have come out of this.
Robert and I realized we were missing the movie theater big time and decided, with the fall weather temps being absolutely gorgeous and the days getting shorter lately, that we would make one on our back porch by rigging a few things together from the Better Homes & Gardens line at Walmart for a DIY movie screen and DIY s’mores table.
DIY S’mores Table
- Coffee table (You could really use any wooden outdoor coffee table. This one isn’t meant to be outdoors specifically, but since it’ll stay under a covered porch, it should hold up fine.)
- Tape measure and pencil
- Fire bowl
- Drill with hole bit
- 1 gallon propane tank
- Roasting skewers & your favorite s’mores ingredients, of course 😉
1. Use a tape measure to find the very center of the table and mark that spot.
2. Drill a hole into the spot using the hole bit.
3. Place the base of the fire bowl into the hole.
4. Screw in the propane tank from underneath and enjoy!
I think this melamine tray with bowls is actually meant for chips and dip, but it makes the perfect little spread for s’mores ingredients.
DIY Outdoor Movie Theater Screen
- White shower curtain liner
- 4 eyelets & eyelet kit
- 4 small bungee cords
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Tape measure & marker
1. Spread out the shower curtain liner on the floor and use a tape measure to mark the dimensions you want for your screen.
2. Trim the shower curtain with fabric scissors.
3. Drive an eyelet into each corner of the shower curtain with a hammer and anvil from the eyelet kit.
4. Secure each corner of the shower curtain with a bungee cord around porch posts. (You could even make posts in your yard or on a patio using this string light pole method we used in our last house.)
5. Stretch the shower curtain until wrinkles are mostly smoothed out. Then hook up a projector and enjoy a movie in the fresh air!
Since the shower curtain liner is waterproof it can hang out here in the rain without a problem. And it was less than $30 to make!
We really didn’t add much to the rest of the space (and this old patio set that we’ve had for years). Just a few cozy throw pillows and blankets to keep warm on chilly evenings and that’s it.
And of course string lights and lanterns… because that’s always the recipe for instant outdoor magic.
To spiff up the movie screen, I placed a couple of mums and pumpkins from the Walmart garden center. Now if only I remember to water those flowers. 😉 Who wants to place bets on how long they survive with me as their plant mama?
It really does feel like a total escape out here, and I’m wondering why we didn’t think to do this sooner.
I’m pretty sure we’re going to live out here now because I envision slumber parties and creepy Halloween movie showings from here on out.
If you want to know about any of the sources we used, you can find them all here:
- Coffee table
- Fire bowl
- Melamine tray and bowls
- Copper mugs
- Popcorn bowl
- Striped pillow
- Colorblock pillow
- Plaid pillow
- Ivory rosette pillow
- Cream knit pillow
- Gray outdoor rug
- String lights
- Flameless candles
Do you know what movie that is on the screen? It’s one of my favorites of all time. (You can take the English teacher out of the classroom, but you can’t take the classroom out of the English teacher. It’ll always have part of my heart.)
Do you have any fun outdoor activities you love doing for fall? We’ll take all the ideas we can get right now.