How to Enjoy Deep Cleaning Your House + 2 Awesome Freebies
Tips for how to enjoy deep cleaning your house + a free whole house cleaning checklist.
The other day, a miracle happened.
I woke up excited to clean our house. I know. No one is more shocked than me (except maybe Robert who knows I DESPISE cleaning). But once the Christmas decorations are put away and those pesky little needles end up all over our floor, it’s on.
Most days of the week, I’m on a cleaning strike. Life gets busy or we have a crazy DIY project going on or I’m exhausted or I think, “It’s just going to get messy again in 24 hours.” But the start of a new year makes me want to give our home a fresh start.
I can only avoid the scrubbing and mopping and organizing for so long before my house starts to stress me out.
I’m not a neat freak, by any means, but once I get started, I discover cleaning calms me, and then I can’t stop.
I can think so clearly when the house is spick and span and smelling good. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I don’t deep clean more often.
So my New Year’s resolution this year: Clean and organize every nook and cranny of this crazy chaotic neglected-for-far-too-long house. I will channel Gayle the Cleaning Mom. There may be casualties.
If you’ve been feeling overwhelmed by a whole house deep cleaning, here are some tips that help me enjoy the process:
- Make a checklist. (You can snag my whole house deep cleaning checklist printable near the bottom of this post to help you out.)
- Focus on one room at a time. The process goes faster if I can knock out an entire room before tackling the next. It makes it feel like I’m getting somewhere with the housework, and the task of cleaning an entire house then doesn’t seem so huge.
- Have a jam out session. I crank my favorite Pandora station on my phone and dance around the room as I scrub and sweep. It feels less like work and more like fun, which makes productivity go through the roof.
- Use good smelling cleaning supplies. Operation: De-funkify the House can actually feel sorta kinda like a spa experience. My favorite Mrs. Meyers scents so far are honeysuckle and lavender because they really do give me a feeling of serenity. (And using their laundry detergent and fabric softener on bedding helps me sleep better.)
- “Treat yo’ self.” I like to promise myself a reward for when all of the cleaning is finished, usually in the form of wine or chocolate. But when you can take a deep breath and enjoy your great smelling well-cared-for house, that’s a reward all by itself.
You can snag your own free printable of my Whole House Deep Cleaning Checklist in my Printable Library here to get you started in tackling the big mess. It is suuuuuper extensive and HUGE but in a good way:
(If you’re already a subscriber, just click here to download the checklist from my Printable Library.)
Happy cleaning, y’all! Hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.