I blinked and just like that 2016 is gone! I think this was the fastest year of them yet. It’s no surprise because Robert and I have been crazy busy since we were determined to get some huge projects checked off of our list in our house this year.
I’m so excited to see what 2017 has in store for us. We’ve both been getting a little antsy for a move with more land, but we know that’s all in God’s plan. (Hey, that rhymed.) Right now though, we still have a few small spaces to go, which I’ll be sharing about very soon. If you missed it, I shared our home’s full before and after 3 year blogiversary tour here. It is so eye opening to see how far we’ve come!
We could never do any of this without your sweet comments and support. It continually gives us the motivation to keep going and coming up with DIY budget solutions that hopefully give back to you too. I am so thankful for you!
As a recap of the BEST YEAR YET for this blog, I thought I’d share my top 20 DIY posts of 2016. I left out the seasonal ones and included all of our most popular home improvement projects, room reveals, and decorating posts.
20. Faux “Rusted” Vintage Scale Makeover – I’d found this stainless steel metal scale at the thrift store and decided to make it super chippy and rusted using just craft paint. It’s still one of my favorite projects ever!
19. DIY Faux Fireplace (Updated) – Robert and I gave a much needed updated to our faux fireplace and rearranged our living room to make it a bit more upscale and comfortable. Oh, and Olivia helped too. 😉
18. DIY Faux Enamel Bread Box Makeover – A little thrift store bread box makeover to prove that spray paint is magical.
17. Eclectic Farmhouse Playroom Reveal– We participated in our very first One Room Challenge this year. We survived! And the playroom has become a very functional space that turned out even better than planned.
16. Weathered Oak Dining Table Makeover– Our dining table needed a major face lift, so I shared its very easy transformation using my new favorite weathered oak stain. I lurv this stuff.
15. How to Hang Decor On Siding– This post is so simple but so helpful for decorating outside. And apparently it’s a common problem because it was one of my most popular posts this year.
14. Distressed Charcoal Scroll Mirror Makeover– I found this outdated mirror at the thrift store and decided to give it a distressed finish. I love how it turned out! And I shared a my favorite simple distressing technique.
13. How to Decorate a Small Patio– I shared our itty bitty patio’s makeover along with some tips for making the most out of a small outdoor space.
12. How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro– It’s been over 6 months and our cabinets still look as beautiful as the day we painted them. I shared all about the whole process and my favorite cabinet paint in this post.
11. Antique Printer’s Cabinet Makeover– This plain buffet we found on Craigslist got an incredible makeover with a couple of basic woodworking tricks. I can’t even believe this is the same piece.
10. Favorite Budget Friendly Blue Vintage Rugs– While shopping for the perfect rug for our master bedroom, I shared my favorite ones. It’s predicted that deep blue is going to be a huge trend in 2017 for home decor. Looks like this post was ahead of the game.
9. How to Create a Weathered Wood Look With Paint– I found this sofa table at a consignment shop and gave it an easy weathered wood look using only paint and wax, no icky paint stripping required. Because ew. Never ever again!
8. Apothecary Jar Printable Labels– If you have lots of odd jars and bottles hanging around in your recycling bin, slap these vintage looking labels on them and they’re perfect for florals at any time of year. Plus they make flower arranging really simple.
7. Decorating 101 Vignette Styling– This post takes lots of the guess work out of styling mantels, shelves, and tabletops with some decorating rules to simplify the process.
6. 18 Inexpensive DIY Wall Decor Ideas– We’ve completed a lot of wall decor projects, so I rounded up our best ones in this post for some farmhouse and industrial style ideas that you can easily make yourself.
5. My Whole30 Body Makeover + Beginner’s Guide– If your resolution is to get in shape in the New Year, I highly recommend Whole30. It’s not gimmicky and just about simply eating clean and detoxifying your body to kick start a healthy lifestyle. I cannot believe how much weight I lost and how amazing I felt in 30 days. Robert and I are starting a whole new round on January 1st.
4. DIY Irish Blessing Sign and Entryway– I shared my free printable and tutorial for how to make this Irish Blessing sign for St. Paddy’s Day, but it’s great for any time of year.
3. DIY Feather Finish Concrete Countertops– Apparently concrete countertops are growing in popularity because this post went bananas this year! I shared our tutorial plus some scary things to avoid in the process.
2. Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Makeover Reveal– This kitchen was WELL worth the wait! I shared its full reveal + source list and tutorials in this post for how we pulled off our entire kitchen’s makeover for a tiny fraction of what the pros would have charged us.
1. 10 Items to Always Buy at Thrift Stores– If you ever feel lost in thrift stores, this post has 10 things I always look for that are very versatile. I included items not to buy too.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this journey with us this year! We’ve had an absolute blast in 2016, and we can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store. Did you have a favorite project of ours this year? Or a project you were so proud to accomplish in your own home? I’d love to hear about it!