Living Room Update: Ceiling Fan Swap
Since busting out the paint cans and rollers in our living room a few weeks ago, I set out on a massive ceiling fan hunt. Like no-turning-back-til-the-perfect-one-smacks-me-in-the-face kind of hunt. I know ceiling fans get a bad rap for being all “womp-womp”, but the one we finally chose has turned out to be the cherry on top of our living room. And it’s a miiiiighty purdy cherry.
I have a confession though. I splurged. Which I never ever ever do.
But with using only half of our budget we alotted for living room furniture by finding an amazing set at IKEA, reusing a rug we already owned from our old master bedroom, massively transforming the entire room with just a couple of coats of paint, and using really inexpensive Craigslist finds for the rest of the space, Robert convinced me to choose what I really wanted.
And I could not get this Caneel Bay fan by Casablanca out of my head, so I didn’t really put up a fight.
(Pay no mind to the wild cord situation on the mantel and the dirty brick. We’re working on that.)
Once this fan was installed, it was like a brand new room in here. I mean… I know the paint and furniture helps a lot but that little piece of ceiling candy is somethin’ else.
Don’t let this room fool you. All of the other rooms in the house are absolute chaos with stacked boxes and scattered tools and Rubbermaid bins exploding all over the place, but I’m so relieved to have a space where we can escape at the end of the day.
It’s still hard to believe it looked so different a month ago…
It was completely by accident that the raw wood blades of the fan match our gallery wall frames perfectly! (I shared the free printable set of those botanicals earlier this week if you want to snag them for one of your walls.)
We’ve been able to wrap up most of our breakfast nook too, which you can see a little peek of here…
I’ll share more about all of that later though.
If you’re curious about any of the other sources in this space so far, you can find all of it here: (Affiliate links are provided below for convenience.)
- Wall color: Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee
- Trim and ceiling color: Benjamin Moore Simply White
- Door color: Benjamin Moore Wrought Iron
- Sofa: IKEA Farlov
- Chairs: IKEA Stocksund
- Wagon bench: Craigslist find for $35
- Gallery wall frames: Michael’s for $11 each w/ coupon
- Rug: RugsUSA (but it’s cheaper on Amazon right now)
- Ceiling Fan: Casablanca Caneel Bay in Aged Steel
- Lamp: Kirkland’s
- Blue print pillows: World Market
- Cream quilted lumbar pillows: Target
- Cream medallion pillows: Target
- Banana leaf tray: Hobby Lobby
- Cedar topiaries: IKEA (discontinued, unfortunately, but they were $9! Similar here)
We still have a little bit left on the to-do list for in here before we call it finished though…
- Hide TV cords with cord covers
- Build a window seat bench to house cable box
- Hang curtains? (Still undecided on that)
- Lime wash or German smear the brick fireplace
But for now we’ll probably be taking a break on this space until we get a few more rooms painted and furniture in place and boxes unpacked. Fair warning: if you come over, you might be put to work. 😉