Navy blue paint colors are the kings of classic. Just like that perfect pair of blue jeans that goes with every color, navy is just as versatile with all colors in all different styles of interior design. But finding the perfect navy blue can be tricky.
When in doubt in situations where you want a pop of color, dark blue paint is always a safe bet. Because it can still act like a neutral.
Ever since we used navy in our home office, I’ve been determined to use it in a big way somewhere else in our home.
This week, the construction dust finally settled from the water damage repairs long enough around here for us to paint our dining room. We wanted it to be bold, cozy, but most of all, we wanted it to be timeless!
I am so over the moon in love with these navy walls!
If you’ve ever been baffled trying to find the perfect navy blue for your home (I especially love it on kitchen cabinets, islands, and furniture), consider this my shameless plug for Romabio Blue Ridge Parkway. BUT this list of other navy paint colors, widely recommended by designers, are real winners too.
After years of trying out swatches and using navy in our own home, this is our running list of favorites.
The 8 Best Navy Blue Paint Colors
1. Benjamin Moore Hale Navy
2. Benjamin Moore Blue Note
3. Benjamin Moore Polo Blue
4. Sherwin Williams Naval
5. Benjamin Moore Newportbury Blue
6. Behr Chimney
7. Benjamin Moore Van Deusen Blue
8. Farrow & Ball Hague Blue
What paint color sheen should I use?
Generally these are the typical recommendations for paint sheens (though rules can often be broken).
Ceilings – flat
Walls – eggshell (since eggshell can be wiped clean but isn’t shiny)
Cabinets – satin is most recommended, but semi-gloss can be used if you prefer that extra shine
Trim/doors – We typically use semigloss for a more traditional look, but satin works well for a more modern look.
How do I find which paint color is right for my space?
Sample, sample, sample.
- Narrow down your favorite colors to a select few from color swatch cards.
- Have color sample paints mixed at your local paint store to test at home.
- Brush the sample paint colors on 3-4 white foam poster boards and tape them up on various walls in the room. The white poster board will allow your eye to see any undertones.
- Look at the paint colors in the room in different lamp lighting, overhead lighting, as well as changing natural light throughout the day and night.
See more tips for how to find the best paint colors here.
What paint color works in every room?
That’s the kicker. There is no such thing as a paint color that works in every room because lighting in every home is always different and lighting changes our perception of color.
Do you have a favorite navy blue paint color you’d add to the list? Have you painted anything navy in your house that you’re completely in love with?!
Frequently Asked Questions
Orange is the most complementary to blue because it is positioned opposite from blue on the color wheel. Yellow, pink, red, and white complement dark blue as well.
Yellow and blue are the most popular front door colors when paired with navy blue exteriors.
- 15 Ways to Transform Your Entire House with Just Paint
- How to Choose the Perfect Paint Color for Your Home Every Time
- 5 Paint Lessons We’ve Learned the Hard Way
- The Best Paint Colors for Gray Trim
- How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro