Wire Basket and Bundt Pan Pumpkins
A step-by-step tutorial for making craft pumpkins for fall using thrifted vintage wire bread baskets and mini bundt pan Jello molds.
Accidental “light bulb” moments might be my favorite part about thrifting.
I’ll be walking along, moseying through the shelves of random junk, and get all kinds of ideas just by looking at how platters and lamps and candlesticks and toys and knick-knacks are all tossed haphazardly together. Maybe I just have a weird brain… who knows.
Yeah, yeah that could be it.
But the other day, I saw one of these scalloped wire bread baskets sitting upside-down on a thrift store shelf, and I thought, “Hey! That kind of looks like the top of a pumpkin.”
I see these wire baskets all the time in thrift stores and at yard sales and never thought twice about them until now.
So I scooped up those cute little baskets off the shelf and skipped to the register along with an arm full of mini bundt pan / Jello molds because inspiration is just funny like that.
And I’m sharing it as a sweet thrifty pumpkin centerpiece craft for The Happy Housie‘s Seasonal Simplicity Series in today’s Fall DIY/Craft hop. You can check out 25 more fall crafts and DIY project ideas at the bottom of this post.
DIY Wire Basket and Bundt Pan Pumpkins
Supplies Used: (Some affiliate links are provided below.)
- 2 thrifted wire bread baskets (Mine were $2 at the thrift store, but sometimes you can luck out on eBay or Etsy.)
- 2 sets of thrifted mini bundt pans / Jello molds
- Rustoleum copper spray paint
- Rustoleum Heirloom White satin spray paint
- Loctite Super Glue
- 2 2″ length of wire
- A couple of sticks from your yard
1. I love the look of copper for fall, so I decided to spray paint my wire baskets with the copper spray paint (but you could certainly leave them silver, if you wanted to keep some vintage patina).
2. And for the mini bundt pan / Jello molds, I gave them a couple of coats of the white spray paint just because I’m a sucker for white mini pumpkins.
3. Once they were dry, I secured the two wire baskets together (one upside-down) with some wire.
4. And I applied a nickel sized dot of super glue to attach a stem to the top using just a piece of a stick I found in our yard.
5. To make the mini pumpkins, I applied a little super glue around the edge of one of the bundt pans and placed another on top to attach them together.
6. Then, I just attached a little twig on top with a dab more of the super glue.
So easy! Aren’t they cuuuuuuute?!
I stuck a candle in the middle of the wire pumpkin to make it into a lantern, but you could fill anything in it really.
So now it’s a fun, whimsical fall centerpiece on our breakfast nook table.
If you want to know about any of the sources in our breakfast nook, by the way, you can find them all here.
- DIY wall planter using antique banisters (tutorial)
- Craigslist antique table (this one is similar)
- Lantern pendant light
- French bistro chairs (ours were inexpensive finds from TJ Maxx, but these are similar)
- Macrame table runner
- Wall color: Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee
- Trim color: Benjamin Moore Simply White
- Door color: Benjamin Moore Wrought Iron
The greenery is just a couple of eucalyptus bundles I picked up at Trader Joe’s for $3 each. I’m obsessed! It’s my favorite any time of year but especially for early fall.
You can check out all of the other fall DIY/craft projects in the hop from the links below, if you’re craving more ideas for the season:
Sweater Pumpkins at The Happy Housie // Chinoiserie Pumpkins at Shabbyfufu // Wire Basket Bundt Pan Pumpkins at Bless’er House // Plastic Fall Fruit Makeover at Craftberry Bush // Pumpkin Topiary at Inspiration for Moms
Forest Pine Candle at Setting for Four // Wooden Trough at Deeply Southern Home // Thrifty Magnolia Wreath at Home Made Lovely // Pumpkin Vase at Amber Tysl // Autumn Watercolour Place Cards at Finding Silver Pennies
Wooden Pumpkin at The Turquoise Home // Cotton Wreath at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia // No-Sew Burlap Table Runner at Jenna Kate at Home // Cute Pumpkin Plants at House by Hoff // Fall Flannel Quilted Pillow at TIDBITS
Hoop Wreath at Lolly Jane // Tiled Coffee Table Tray at In My Own Style // Pom Pom Garland at Modern Glam // Acorn Garland at Jen Woodhouse // Hello Fall Pillow at Love Create Celebrate
Silk Fall Floral Arrangement at Town and Country Living // Simple Fabric Pumpkins at Confessions of a Serial Do It Yourselfer // Soy Candles at The DIY Mommy // Lighted Pumpkin Bucket at Clean and Scentsible
Handprinted Pumpkin Pillow at Hallstrom Home // Corn Husk Pumpkins at Paint Me Pink // Fall Glam Candle Wreaths at Summer Adams
If you want to save this post for later, you can pin it here: