Our home gym design mood board plans and demo in our pool shed to turn it into a workout room.
We have lift off in the home gym design!
If you missed it last week, I shared all of the inspiring workout rooms giving us tons of ideas as we transform our pool shed into a home gym space.
Here is where the shed started…
And here is where we are now since ripping out the pegboard, walls, and ceiling! This project has really gotten away from us but in a good way.
You should see the state of our garage since we’ve had to rework our storage situation. It’s quite a sight to behold.
This week, we’ve been working on raising the ceiling so that the space will feel larger.
It’s such a small shed I can’t even photograph it with a normal angle lens. So this photo makes it look way bigger than it really is.
But we are totally confident we can pack a lot of function into such a small space.
Here is our overall home gym design vision.
Home Gym Mood Board
- Brick walls – We are using the same brick paneling as we did our faux brick backsplash many years ago in our old house. We’ll paint the panels white to help the room feel bigger and brighter.
- Fan – We’re going way more industrial than our usual style in here since it is a gym after all. So for light and air circulation, this industrial light with retractable blade is a great budget-friendly option.
- Mirrors – Necessary for checking our form. I’ve thought about adding some LED light strips behind them as a fun detail.
- Floor plant – Robert will probably fight me on this. Haha! But every room needs a little plant in my opinion to add some life.
- Shelf plant – See *floor plant* 😉
- Gym flooring – I found these interlocking padded floor tiles for a budget-friendly flooring option that will also make workouts easier on our joints.
- Shelf – For keeping small workout gear like kettlebells and hand weights.
- Speaker – We’ll have a bluetooth speaker tucked onto the shelf to jam to music as we sweat.
- Mini Fridge – I’ll keep some water bottles in here to keep cool.
- Cube Shelf – For more small storage of small workout equipment if needed.
- Wire Basket – For holding a few gym towels.
- Vintage Fighter Art – Because every Ron Swanson fan needs this print in their gym, right?
- Vintage Workout Art – This cute little lady seems like a good one to pair with the fighter art.
- “The Man in the Arena” Art – I gave this art to Robert at Christmas. Wise words for good workouts.
We have more workout equipment, a squat rack, and a cardio bike ready to go once it’s finished.
But right now, we have quite a ways to go. This guy is super excited, in case you can’t tell.
Just look at that face. He’s like a kid on Christmas. 😉
Have I mentioned Robert has an exercise science degree? He’s been cramming workouts and weight training into our messy garage for years, so this home gym is long overdue.
Can’t wait to see all of this come together! Do you have a home gym? Or a workout space? Got any ideas you’d add?